1) Describe five ways in which you think you have human capital that is truly unique. What is it about you, exactly, that makes you different? Write this up in a detailed list.
Oh Lord, this is going to sound conceited.
- I’m quirky - I’m a naturally awkward person. Conversations and open communication don’t come easily to me so it’s something that people typically pick up on quickly. One of the coping mechanisms I’ve trained myself to do is laugh and make jokes. Typically this drives people to believe I’m a naturally happy person (I’m not, I’m the queen of pessimism) and draws them in where later they typically find out that I’ve got a darker mind that most. But, due to my weird coping mechanism, I make jokes and people then enjoy this weird dark quirky energy.
- I’m loyal - I was raised in the country where you trust first, ask questions later. It’s bitten me in the butt more times than I care to admit, but for the successful times, it’s paid off. I don’t rat people out, I’ll blindly follow direction, I’ll make big leaps as long as I’m following someone I trust, I won’t leave unless being forced to, more than likely. Unfortunately, that’s my downfall as well. I don’t know when to walk away. The blind loyalty can cost me in the long run when better opportunities come along.
- I’m passionate - I feel everything DEEPLY. Excitement, joy, happines. But, I also feel things like anger, and betrayal more than I should. Things become personal, such as work, when I should be able to walk away. If I believe something is wrong, or needs to be corrected I will fight for it until it’s fixed. I have this unnerving drive that pushes me through an abnormal amount of stressful situations. If I believe it, I’ll fight for it.
- I’m Understanding - I’ve matured enough to know when I’m wrong. I’ve come to learn that life doesn’t give you the best options at the right time through life experiences. Trial and error has taught me a lot of the life lessons I wish I could’ve learned at a slower pace, but this is where the passionate and aggressive traits come in.
- I’m aggressive - My biggest downfall, depending on perspective. I believe in holding people accountable for their actions, and lack thereof. I have athletes that’ll complain life isn’t fair when they haven’t achieved their goals, but I’ll be the first to remind them if they didn’t work for it, they don’t deserve those goals to be met. I hold nothing back when it comes to correction and realistic explanations. People expect me to have a maternal position towards athletes, and I simply don’t.
2) Interview the five people who know you the best. Ask them what they think makes you different -- remember, focus on your knowledge, skills, abilities, emotions -- in other words, your human capital. Try to stay away from discussing your other types of capital (such as who you know). Record each interview. In your post, please post each interview, as well as a two-three sentence summary of each interview, explaining what your key takeaways are. There is no time limit on these recordings. As long as you cover the information asked for above, that's all you need to do. (Audio recordings are fine. You'll need to use a platform like Soundcloud to host your files.)
Alexander (Fiance) - The biggest stand out for me is your drive and your self- determination to succeed. Motivation to leave an impression on others. To me, especially in the world you live in, your determination to help others achieve their goals that they want, that have nothing to do with you. Other people’s want for success is what drives you. You’re selfless.
Madie (Best Friend #1) - Your energy levels are crazy. You are a literal pogo-stick when it comes to working with people and talking to people. When we first met you were overwhelming, but you also warned me that if that was the case to tell you. So I did and you and I became friends. I saw how much you loved people and that’s what made you “overwhelming” because I’ve never met someone who loves interaction quite like you.
Rachel (Best Friend #2) - You’re a B*tch when you need to be, and that’s something everyone needs in their life. Someone to tell you how it really is without holding back. I hated your guts when we first met because you were so adamant on telling me what I was doing wrong (She was dating a horrid guy) only to find out that it was because you didn’t want to see me get hurt, which I still did.
Annie (Best Friend #3) - Have you HEARD you. You are ungodly passionate and supportive. When my husband wanted to join the military but couldn’t pass the swim test you worked HOURS with him to help him pass. We offered you food, beer, whatever you wanted and all you asked that you were the first to know if he passed. You didn’t care about anything but him doing what he wanted. That’s one of the reasons we love you so much, because you love without conditions.
Judy (mama bear) - You don’t give yourself credit for how much you care about other people being happy. I think that’s why you’re negative in your own life, because you make everyone else focus on the best outcomes in their life. You are optimistic around people, but pessimistic towards your own ideals and goals. You’re loving and outgoing, but only in the aspects you want to be. You’re single-minded on certain subjects and no one can change your mind about things like swim, or work things.
3) Reflect on the differences. How do you see yourself, and how do others see you? Are there differences in how you assess yourself compared to others? What do you think causes these differences? Do you think your interviewees are correct about you? Finally, going back to your list from part 1, would you make any corrections to the list? How?
I see myself as someone who isn’t all that outgoing, but apparently I’m the opposite in everyone else’s perspective. I think I judge myself a little harsher than everyone else seems to in prolonged terms. Initially, my friends see the aspects of myself that I see all the time. I think there is truth in all there statements and I can understand where they are coming from. Aside from the perspective of being pessimistic, I don’t think I would change anything from my initial list only because everything was pretty similar to their opinions.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Kristian,
ReplyDeleteOnce again, I really enjoyed your post. I can see that you have a very strong human capital. We actually share a couple traits. In my case, I'm also very passionate. Not only about this but about everything I do and I believe it is an amazing trait to have that will help you with everything in life.